HOME > Campus Life >Immigration Guide > Insurance / Part-time work

Immigration Guide

Health Insurance
All international students must be insured by the National Health Insurance Program or a Private Insurance Program.  The purpose of health insurance is to protect international students from unexpected accidents or high unforeseen expenses for medical treatment.
 National Health Insurance Program: Insured students can benefit from Korean hospitals
Type contents


A foreigner who has intentions to stay in Korea for more than one year with a D-2 VISA, her/his spouse, and children under 20 years of age

When Eligible

After completion of Foreigner Registration

Application Documents

-Verification of eligibility including Foreigner Registration Card

-Verification of purpose of stay

(A copy of Foreigner Registration Card or a copy of Residence Certificate)

Premium Criteria

-The insured student is required to pay after completion of their foreigner registration.

-The insured student is required to pay during any temporary leave that is within 3 months.

-In the case of a temporary leave that is longer than 3 months, the insurance is cancelled on the next day of departure, and the student must renew it upon return.

*There is a 30% discount for students (D-2)


Around 40,000 won monthly (Differs depending on district)

How to use the services

Same as Koreans


Prepaid for 3 months



 International Student Insurance

  If students want to buy insurance from a private firm, they can buy medical and injury insurance for foreigners from traveler’s insurance companies.  If a student becomes ill or is injured, they can receive treatment from clinics or hospitals and pay with their own money.  After which, they can apply for reimbursement from the insurance company.



- SKKU restricts issuing certificates of enrollment and transcripts to students without insurance.  Students must report to the Office of International Student Services beforehand.

- When the coverage period is extended, students must submit the extension document to the University.


 How to Submit Insurance Documents

- Online Submission: GLS – International Relations – Insurance Certificate Registration – Enter Insurance details and upload scanned file of Insurance Certificate (pdf or jpeg)

- Email Submission: intlhss@skku.edu

  Attach scan file of Insurance Certificate (pdf or jpeg)

  Subject line must include the student’s name and student number

  ※ Must be scanned with scanner


Part-time Jobs (Activities beyond current visa status)


 Foreign students (D-2) must receive permission for activities beyond their current visa status (part-time job, internship, etc.)


 Violation Treatment

- 1st violation: Disallow part-time employment for one year

- 2nd violation: Disallow part-time employment during the study period

- 3rd violation: Cancel study qualifications


 Allowed Hours

During Semester Weekend and Vacation

Undergraduate Students: Less than 25 hours per week

Graduate Students: Less than 30 hours per week

After completion of graduate degree or Ph.D. program while preparing thesis: Less than 30 hours per week

No Limit


※ Limited to 1 year and 2 workplaces
 Required Documents
-Certificate of foreigner registration
-Consolidated application form
-Confirmation letter for hourly part-time job by the staff of the International Student Service Center, including signature of employer
-Official transcript
 Restrictions on Hourly Part-time Jobs for International Students
- Private lessons, high-tech industries or institutions, entertainment bars or salons, adult entertainment, speculation businesses such as casinos or gambling, or any business that is against ethical customs, etc.
 Acceptable Areas (Example)
-Students are allowed to work in part-time or temporary positions or as assistants at restaurants, stores or companies that are outside of the school, or at a school store, bookstore, school office, or laboratory.
- Jobs are limited to those that can be performed as a student by social norms.
- If a student does not report to the Immigration Office and any illegal hourly job activity is discovered, they will be subject to a deportation fine.
 Reporting Place of Employment Change
- If a student changes their place of employment (employer) within the permitted period, they must report the change within 15 days via online or by visiting the Office of International Student Services.
 Extension of Permission 
-Limited to 1 year within stay, and 2 workplaces
- Restricted to:
 ① Students that have an attendance rate lower than 70% or a GPA lower than C(2.0) 
 ② Students that did not report their working conditions (place of employment, working hours, etc.) fully, or any changes of workplace
 Exception for Permission
- If a student works as an intern to acquire credits or receives a certain amount as allowance by participating in a research project, or participates (such as a teaching assistant or librarian) in a student scholarship at school, a separate permit is not required.
- If a student receives compensation and the work performed is temporary normal housework or office assistant tasks, and it is not done as an occupational job, such as in the case with a household assistant